Monday, February 18, 2008

My First Words...

Introductions aside, the first thing I wanted to put down is this Radiohead video from waaay back:



They are going on a North America tour so get yo tix! May be the BEST thing that has happened this year.

With that out of the way, I want to talk a little bit about blogging and why I started doing it. My primary reason was storage, I really do love that there is a place I can just put everything I came across in the vast and inexhaustible digital world of the interwebs. Sometimes it's interesting, others not so much, but this is going to be an archive of sorts that doesn't use up any of my hard drive space! 

I had avoided getting into this just cause I've always been kinda freaked out by how impersonal the world has gotten as a result of these devices that allow for the proliferation of information with the least amount of human contact. Also cause I think our private lives have completely been obliterated - blogs etc are in some ways an extension of our thoughts and there's something voyeuristic and disturbing about opening this private space to a public anonymous audience. Another reason I held off was cause I am rather narcissistically involved in myself and I just feel that a blog will either (a) exacerbate this problem or (b) be a reflection of my flaws and dispel this myth I have of myself thus sending me into an identity crisis of the I-don't-want-to-be-part-of-a-club-that-would-have-me-as-a-member sort. 

I still have some of these reservations but I realized that by holding on too steadfastly to these notions, I was refusing to participate in what is essentially the preferred mode of interactive communication by modern standards (this doesn't replace street fairs, etc but it works in the same ways I think). Plus it's just a blog, that probably no one will ever see, and I guess it's a little silly to take it so seriously. 

So I am going to see how it goes - I tend to approach everything with a nauseating overdose of gravitas and while I promise to try to take myself less seriously, there are no guarantees.

No comments: