Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hysterical Realism

Zadie Smith has given me writer's block. And I mean that as a compliment, I think. I have been reading White Teeth for about a month now (and I am only halfway through) and ever since I picked it up, I have barely been able to write any more than a couple of paragraphs of real fiction. I had not been able to understand why until just now - she is the writer that I think I could become and reading her work makes me realize how well it should be done.

Anyone who reads my stuff knows I am long-winded as all hell. And this is what James Wood thinks of her writing - or at least that's what I could gather from his review of White Teeth. And like Zadie Smith, I just prefer "anything, anything at all, that doesn't sound like me." So what to do? I read what I read and I write what I write and there are times when these planes intersect which is usually a good thing. So I am hoping that there is a reason I cannot write anything after reading White Teeth, because I honestly couldn't stop even if I wanted to.

No comments: