Monday, May 5, 2008

Respec: On Knowing Oneself

I can't tell if it is because I have become increasingly lazy, or more because my writer's block continues to hinder me from coming up with anything original but this will make my third or so consecutive posting where I have actually picked my material directly from another person's work. I am only consoled by the fact that this stuff is amazing so there can't be any real harm in reiterating the originators' sentiments. 

To cut to the chase, the most recent object of my attention has been this blogger. She is Kenyan, and I find this especially appropriate as I have recently been very interested in rediscovering that facet of my identity. I feel a tremendous amount of pressure to pick just one excerpt of her fine work, since there are so many demonstrations of her prowess, but I thought her rumination on Warts, Quirks, Skeletons and Baggage was particularly engaging and may actually help me liberate my self from this confined corner I seem to have backed myself into as a writer. I also really liked this entry because I had actually recently read about the biography by Patrick French on Naipaul and was surprised at how much it portrayed him as... well, a jerk. 

I haven't quite figured out if I am allowed to award two Respec awards in a row, but I find this African woman worthy of the honor (not to get too pompous in my opinions.)

No comments: