Saturday, May 24, 2008

Time Out

Looking back at all my recent posts, or even my browser history, I have realized how caught up I became in all this elections insanity. I got so deep in the dreary drudges of it that I had forgotten to enjoy the things I always have. So let this mark my return to al things lively and lovely. 

First off, Phyllis Dillon. She was a Jamaican ska singer who ended her short recording career at only 24, which is truly a shame. I first heard some of her record, Love Is All I Had recently and let me say that it truly is incredible. I'm being lazy and don't want to look too hard but here is a little sample I found on youtube.

Then there is Brigitte Bardot. Now, she did not reach me by her own merits, all of which are enviable at the very least - her politics aside. I came upon her in this instance by way of Serge Gainsbourg, a riotous French singer/song-writer, actor/director, etc (lazyness is my thing, look him up yourself if you are curious). They did several songs together from what I can gather, my favorite of which is Je t'aime... moi non plus. The guys over at pitchfork even think one of their numbers, Bonnie and Clyde, was the 56th best song of the 1960s. If that's the sort of thing you need for validation.

I am also currently enjoying this mix by The Audible Doctor - you can never go wrong with James Brown. Can I get a witness? Amen.

I would go on but blogger has totally killed my mood cause of how impossible their formatting is. How hard is it to post more than one indented picture? God. And I was going to put up the most adorable hope picture ever too.

No comments: