Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Brave New World

I have recently become very interested in modern architecture and this has come as quite a surprise to me. I have always had an aversion to harshness of modernism and preferred what I thought were the more humanistic forms, say something from the arts and crafts period or anything but the modern. So I don't know what exactly I can attribute my recent change in heart to, but I can't get over the sleek and practical designs of modernist architecture. It just seems so... new, and fresh and startlingly relevant. Maybe it comes from having lived in a city for the past 4 years. Or maybe it has something to do with that post-adolescent angst. In any case, there have been some pretty interesting developments in modern architecture recently that have been prominently featured in both the times magazine in their 6/8 Next City issue and the NYer which have only fed my obsession. I have barely had a chance to read these (on the grind tryna find a job, sigh) but they look promising.

No comments: