Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Neon Testament

Before I go on, let me preface this by saying that I acknowledge Nas' talent and that his album, Illmatic, could be one of the greatest ever to be released. Now that I have paid my respects, I think I am allowed to say that I am not a particularly big fan of the guy and even though I have found myself kinda enjoying his songs when they come on on my shuffle, there is something about him that just rubs me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it, but it has something to do with his recent hipster Complex magazine spread that is a far cry from what he touts himself to be.

Now don't get me wrong. I have no issue with the hipster movement, I mean kids in DC were rocking the skinny jeans and neon sneakers before it was cool and I certainly appreciated their willingness to break with mainstream society. But when hip-hop's son of god decides to don the stuff his followers have often criticized as gay*, I can't help but shake my head at the irony - considering Nas' blatant homophobia (refer to the lyrics for say, "Ether" or "Everybody's Crazy.) This is better than revenge of the nerds. I never thought I'd live to see the day.

*This is not the article I wanted to use but it will have to do. In the one that I can't find right now, the author was far more critical of hipsters. I'll try to find it!

No comments: