Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Portal to the Past

Yesterday came and went (I also went to work in two different colored shoes and only realized it when I was getting back into my car at the end of the day - my life is a tragedy!) and I'm no longer in the mood to update my last post so we will just leave it at that. Point is, the podcast is amazing and the Heliocentrics defy any categorization, making it quite an interesting listen.

For today, I wanted to mention Jace Clayton's post on Getatchew. With the release of the Ethiopiques series within the past ten years, Ethiopian music has gradually become something of a staple for those in the know (check out Egon's interview on the same). Dubious as I am of mass consumption of foreign cultures, I am grateful for the existence of this music series. I grew up listening to Ethiopian music (the matriarch of my fam, my late great-grandmother, was Ethiopian) and after moving to the States, I was worried that I wouldn't have as easy access to the music being so far away from home. The Ethiopiques makes this impossible and I am grateful for that. I am also glad that there are people like Jace who take a genuine interest in the music.

No comments: