Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A billion articles have been written on Facebook and I really don't think I need to add to the already enormous crowd but I am reading (finally) Klosterman's Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs* and think that his evaluation of The Sims could just as well be applied to Facebook - and maybe one of the aforementioned articles has already done this, but I don't read these things so I have no way of knowing.

In short: our Facebook profiles - having taken the place of their simulated counterparts in the video game - essentially indulge on the same narcisistic tendencies** The Sims so ingeniously tapped into, very much like the way reality shows did with our affections for scripted TV.

*a coworker saw me reading this and asked if I had read Eat, Pray, Love. I am not sure why I thought to point that out, but I think it's oddly appropriate that she did. In any case, it should at least give you an idea of the kind of people I work with. There was a time (maybe 5 mins ago) I was tempted to make the sweeping generalization that my office is no different from the rest of America, a microcosm if you like, but I don't quite think I have given up on "the Americans" just yet.

**Everytime I walk by another one of my coworker's desk, she is almost always fixed to the screen examining (what else?) her own Myspace profile. I am not innocent myself, I think I probably represent over half the traffic to my own blog. Actually, I'm pretty certain that I do but that still doesn't stop me from having one. Hmm.. my brain is straining to reach some conclusion about solipsistic existence but I don't feel like going all the way.

No comments: