Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Symbols & Signs

I've been thinking a lot about what I should be doing with my life and as if the world is in some sort of conspiracy to make this harder, I got a promotion at the job that I am not so crazy about. Given the current economic reality, I suppose the last thing I should be doing is pursuing abstract and all too untenable dreams, but I applied to a writing program a few months ago and just got my acceptance email... off the waitlist, and not with the scholarship I had hoped for, but it is a spot that many aspiring writers can only wish for.

So what do I do?

I am not too certain that I can afford to go to this conference without the financial aid, and really, if they only accepted me off the waitlist, is my writing ready for this kind of exposure? But do I have the luxury to be this picky? What's to say that I will even get in next time I apply.

To make things even more complicated, because the promotion is for a newly created position in my company, with responsibilites that need my attention right away, I don't think I would be able to take a vacation at the time the conference runs, which means I would have to forfeit one for the other.

With these questions on my mind, it's almost too much that the New Yorker should have something to say about it all. And no, I don't think the magazine's editors tailor their material specifically to my life, but I'm jes seyin...

No comments: