Thursday, December 3, 2009

My writing feels tedious and inauthentic.

Not that I've ever been really great at it, but I have had a lot of encouragement from a few people I really admire and I'd just always hoped that I could produce whatever it is they saw in me - the goods, as Hache called it.

This idea of one's natural voice keeps coming up and I have heard that it could take up to ten years (a dozen full-length plays, forty four short stories and five novels even!) before anything really feels right.

I just don't know.

I think my greatest problem stems from an inability to finish anything. My archenemy, Mr. Odida, cruel Mr. Odida, explained it best: much gusto, but no stamina.

I hated him, his beady eyes, and his white white lab coat but he was right.

1 comment:

Plentymorefishoutofwater said...

Keep your chin up, I like what you're doing.