Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Football

Active Child


Happy America weekend.


Update: I took a nap after watching the tragic S.American massacre and had to skip the Mint show in order to make it to Active Child. Pat Grossi & Co ended up playing later than L & I had expected, for which we wanted to kick ourselves but... c'est la vie.

In any case, the show was fairly entertaining: in person, Grossi is charming & quite beautiful and in spite of all the traveling he has had to do (he was at my beloved Black Cat just days ago, sob) he looked as fresh as a big glossy green Dutch cucumber, to borrow a phrase. I have long given up any pretense of coolness so I did not hesitate to have him sign my copy of Curtis Lane.

The venue, arguably more popular as a gallery (and a reputable one at that), had poor acoustics that did his music no justice. Grossi's frustration was apparent, as was the audience's, but L & I enjoyed the experience nonetheless.

Speaking of which, a quick sweep of said audience assured me that my ilk was pitiably outnumbered - this is not a how-many-people-of color-can-I-spot kind of observation (4, incidentally, including myself, but who's counting?) but one focused more at the illusory mid20-early30 sthing crowd that Atlanta is supposedly famous for. But that's a different story for a different time.

No comments: